Friday, November 7, 2014

Metacognition in the wall

So this week has been a culmination of a lot of theories and ideas from both my classes,  Foundations of Instructional Technology and Learning Sciences and Learning Theories.  I have noticed that these classes are very similar in many way, but definitely distinctive at the same time.  Regardless though, I have been putting all my new ideas to work in the classroom, my home, and my relationships.  This blog isn't meant to be reflective of the entire project, but just how parts have related to my teaching.

I have been working on the wall, and as I work, I think.  I'm about done now, and ready to paint.  I broke this task down into 8 steps, but in reality, if I had had some experience, I think I could have done it in a weekend, working about 10 hours generously.  But in breaking it down, and slowing down, it has given me a chance to apply my new found education in cognition and theories, while I am learning this.  I have found that I need to look at an idea, and then look at it again, to assess it before, during and after my research and application.  I need to come to some conclusions, and then re-evaluate them again, especially before I use it in considering assignments I design.

The little pieces have helped in my transfer of these concepts to other situations.  I have been able to transfer the idea of how I learn these ideas, first into my working memory, and then into my long term memory, but that in order for it to become tacit, I need lots of practice.  This is the case for my students as well.  I know I am much more specific with what I know they need to work on, now knowing better which activities will help them digest the content and applications, and which ones are just "nice to know's".  I am seriously examining what I have used in the past and what is traditionally considered best practice.

Also, developing a schema in which to begin to undertand at a deep level, is necessary to ever get to that point where one can almost see it in one's head; the beginning, the middle, the end and some of the possible obstacles in mental imagery, which for me is a huge part of schema.  I've learned that for me, understanding any topic requires my recognizing I know little, knowing how much I don't know, then progressing to knowing what I do know, When I get to the point where I see it in my head, my understanding has seriously progressed.  Although I'm no expert, I can "see" my next stage, and project in my mind how to plan things out much better.

I have tried to create this environment by clearing out everything but what I am working on, and the tools necessary.  Aside from the greater flow that comes from avoiding additional interruptions of "stuff", there is something else to this method.  I beleive it is related to trying to duplicate a scenario as close to what I'd see in a book or video on the topic,  There is something to be said for "dressing the part", as it were.  When we buy all the accessories for our new hobby or skill we are learning, it serves not only to prepare us for the work, but it builds our schema, and creates a more situated learning environment, where we "feel" as though we are in a ligitimate peripheral participative reality.  Even if we cannot emmerse ourselves into a true "under construction" house, as would be the situation for me to best learn how to drywall, we can find props or tools, or materials that support that mindset.  In my situation, it makes the translation of You-tube videos to my little wall easier.  If I'm not editing this item, or that type of equipment out of my environment, I learn faster.  The less processing on subjects other than what I am trying to learn the better.  If the items in my enviornment are related to what I see on the videos, or are necessary to what I am doing, then my concentration is greater, and my production greater.  I'm certain that if I were to learn for an extended period in this setting, my growth would be exponentially greater.

I'm counting on this experience teaching me to transfer vertically.  Sure I'd like to know more about DIY home improvement, as that has always been interesting to me.  But the kind of transfer I'm really seeking is understanding how learning occurs in people in situations we've learned about in our readings, and compounding those understandings into something synergystic, that creates it's own learning.  I don't know that I'll be able to predict this well, but that is the goal:  to set a learning objective, and achieve it in a greater depth, in a shorter period of time, and for an unlimited purpose to which I definitely cannot totally predict.  If I am preparing students for careers that haven't yet even discovered their purpose or demand, this has to be my true objective.  Transfer for any possibility.




No comments:

Post a Comment